Monday, December 4, 2023

How Your Faith Grows

"I prayed for faith, and thought that some day faith would come down and strike me like lightning. But faith did not seem to come. One day I read in the tenth chapter of Romans, 'Now faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God'. I had closed my Bible, and prayed for faith. I now opened my Bible, and began to study, and faith has been growing ever since." ~ Dwight L. Moody

Faith comes as a gift from God. It is one of the three abiding gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 13:13). Dwight Moody knew how the gift of faith comes to you. "So faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Romans 10:17). 

The Holy Spirit inspired the Word of God. The same Holy Spirit uses the Word of God to bring faith to you in our Lord Jesus Christ. Let us preach and share the Word of God, that others may come to faith in Christ. We pray for those who are not believers, but we must do more. They must hear the Word of God. 

Moody discovered that faith grows stronger as he studied the Word of God. He testified, "I now opened my Bible, and began to study, and faith has been growing ever since." If you want to grow in your faith, the Bible tells you what to do. To pray for stronger faith and neglect Bible study will not work. Through the Holy Spirit, your faith grows in the Word of God.