Thursday, March 17, 2022

Faith Resting in Christ

Charles Spurgeon wrote, "My faith rests not upon what I am or shall be or feel or know, but in what Christ is, in what He has done, and in what He is now doing for me. Hallelujah!" 

Faith must rest in Christ and not in ourselves. We know that we are sinners and Christ died for our sins. We are not trusting in self-righteousness. Faith is in the righteousness of Christ. He is our righteousness.

Spurgeon taught faith is "in what Christ is, in what He has done, and in what He is now doing." That's our faith resting in Christ alone. We are "looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2).

Faith is confidence and assurance resting in Christ, and not in ourselves. It is knowing Christ as our Surety (Hebrews 7:22). He is our guarantee of eternal salvation. 

We may testify with Spurgeon, "My faith rests not upon what I am or shall be or feel or know, but in what Christ is, in what He has done, and in what He is now doing for me. Hallelujah!" 

Yes, true faith will rest in Christ alone. We confess, "I am a sinner for whom Christ died." We are focused upon Christ crucified for our sins. No self-righteousness do we claim. We know by faith, that Christ died for our sins. He is risen from the dead as our living Lord.