Thursday, November 11, 2021

Christ Our Righteousness

Charles H. Spurgeon testified, "My hope lives not because I am not a sinner, but because I am a sinner for whom Christ died; my trust is not that I am holy, but that being unholy, HE is my righteousness.

"But we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousness is like filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6). We need to receive the righteousness of God in Christ. It is the gift of God received by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Believers are righteous in Christ alone.

How did Abraham become righteous? He became righteous by faith in the Lord. He received God's gift of righteousness by faith. Abraham is our example three times in the New Testament on how to be righteous before God (Romans 4:3; Galatians 3:6; James 2:23)."And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness" (Genesis 15:6). 

How do we become righteous? It's in Christ alone. By faith in Jesus Christ, believers receive the gift of God's perfect righteousness. When we believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we "become the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Corinthians 5:21).